Local News Quetta , QUETTA
News ID : 85896 Video Version : 1 Script Version : 1
Opposition lawmakers, supporters clash with police in Southwestern Pakistan.
Police in southwestern city of Quetta resolves baton charging as opposition lawmakers and their supporters clash with them outside the assembly ahead of a provincial budget session, three injured
SHOTLIST: QUETTA, PAKISTAN (JUNE 18, 2021) (VNA – ACCESS ALL)
- OPPOSITION LAWMAKERS CHANTING SLOGANS/POLICE I RIOT GEAR
- ARMOURED CAR BREAKING INTO GATE OF ASSEMBLY/GATE FALLING AND INJURING PEOPLE
- INJURED LAWMAKER WALKING WITH THE HELP OF PEOPLE
- POLICE ASKING PEOPLE TO GO AWAY
- POLICE BATON CHARGING PROTESTERS
- CHIEF MINISTER OF BALOCHISTAN, JAM KAMAL, ESCORTED BY SECURITY ENTERING ASSEMBLY BUILDING
- VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HURLING STONES AT POLICE
- VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SCUFFLING
- (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) LAWMAKER FROM RULING COALITION IN BALOCHISTAN, ASGHAR ACHAKZAI, SAYING: “We express displeasure over the attitude of opposition and we condemn it in strongest words. They closed main roads of Balochistan just for the sake of small money. Today, they ruined the sanctity of the parliament for which Balochistan’s leaders and their elders had offered sacrifices.
- VARIOUS OF BUDGET BEING PRESENTED AT ASSEMBLY SESSION
STORY: Police in southwestern city of Quetta resolved baton charging as opposition lawmakers and their supporters clashed with them outside the assembly ahead of a provincial budget session on Friday (June 18), local media reported.
The clash took place as police attempted to open the gates allegedly locked by the opposition parties and supporters who surrounded the assembly.
At least three lawmakers were injured as police smashed the main entrance gate of the assembly building with armoured vehicle, no one seriously.
Heated words between police personnel and Opposition lawmakers were exchanged, which caused the situation to turn tense.
Chief Minister Balochistan Jam Kamal Khan and a few lawmakers later arrived at the assembly and were escorted into the assembly by police.
The budget session commenced later. Balochistan Finance Minister Mir Zahoor Ahmad Buledi presented the budget during the session.
Supporters of Opposition parties have blocked national highways in several cities of Balochistan over the past four days. The Opposition has accused the government of ignoring development projects in the budget.
Quetta is the capital of Balochistan province.