PAKISTAN-BOAT CAPSIZE FUNERALS
Local News Karachi , KARACHI
News ID : 79963 Video Version : 1 Script Version : 1
Mass funeral held for boat capsize victims in Karachi.
Relatives and friends attend mass funeral for victims a day after 10 people drown in a boat capsize incident at Keenjhar lake in southern Pakistan.
SHOTLIST: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (AUGUST 18, 2020) (VNA – ACCESS ALL)
- li style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;">MOURNERS GATHERED AS AMBULANCES CARRYING BODIES OF DROWNING VICTIMS ARRIVING
- AMBULANCES PARKED
- VARIOUS OF MOURNERS
- MOURNERS CARRYING COFFIN FOR FUNERAL PRAYER
- PRAYER BEING OFFERED AS COFFINS PLACED ON GROUND
- FUNERAL PRAYER IN PROGRESS
- IMAM ENDING PRAYER
- (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) RELATIVE OF VICTIMS, GHULAM HUSSAIN, SAYING: “It is a big shock, a great shock that ten members of a family including women and minor girls have died. May Allah grant courage to relatives to bear this loss.”
- VARIOUS OF MOURNERS CARRYING COFFINS TO CEMETERY
STORY: More than two hundred relatives and friends attended mass funeral of drowning victims in Pakistani city of Karachi on Tuesday (August 18)
At least 10 people died after an overcrowded boat, carrying thirteen picnickers, capsized in Keenjhar lake in southern Pakistani city of Thatta in the province of Sindh on Monday (August 17), rescue officials said.
As many as ten coffins were brought to a ground where mourners held funeral prayer to pay their last respect to the victims.
Officials said 11 women and two girls, related to one another and hailing from Karachi, were returning from a shrine located in the middle of the lake when the boat capsized.
The divers pulled out nine bodies of women and one of a minor girl while three women were rescued in an unconscious state.
Reportedly, the boat could seat only four persons but it was carrying 13 people when it overturned. The life jackets are generally not provided at the lake and the boats are poorly maintained.
Police have registered a case against the boatman and authorities have sought inquiry into the incident.
Keenjhar Lake, some 135 kilometres away from Karachi and about 36 kilometres (22 miles) from the city of Thatta, is a popular tourist spot. Many people from Karachi, Hyderabad, Thatta and nearby cities visit to enjoy picnics, swimming, fishing, and boating.