Local News Islamabad, ISLAMABAD
News ID : 76064 Video Version : 1 Script Version : 1
Anti-U.S. protests to condemn Soleimani's killing continue in Pakistan.
As protests continue in Pakistan to condemn the killing of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, in a US airstrike near Baghdad, more than one thousand Shi’ite Muslims rally in Pakistani capital Islamabad.
SHOTLIST: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN (JANUARY 19, 2020) (VNA – ACCESS ALL)
- WOMEN PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER, PLACARDS AND SHI’ITE FLAGS MARCHING
- PLACARD HELD BY WOMAN READING (English) “DOWN WITH U.S.A”
- WOMEN MARCHING
- PLACARD READING “DOWN WITH ISRAEL”
- MEN MARCHING
- PROTESTERS CHANTING “DEATH TO AMERICA”
- PROTESTERS CHANTING ANTI-U.S AND ANTI-ISRAEL SLOGANS
- DEMONSTRATORS CHANTING “MARTYRDOM”
- PROTESTERS DRAGGING ON STREET REPRESENTATION OF COFFINS DRAPED IN FLAGS OF THE U.S. AND ISRAEL
- POLICE IN RIOT GEAR
- POLICEMEN STANDING BEHIND BARBED WIRE
- POLICE AND PROTESTERS
- (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) SENIOR SHI’ITE CLERIC, ASGHAR ASKARI, SAYING: “Now, this movement of awakening will go on across the world. This movement has started against America. This is not a rally just for today, it has continuity. These protests will go on until the Americans and Israelis are expelled from the Muslim countries.”
- VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BURNING REPRESENTATION OF COFFINS DRAPED IN FLAGS OF THE U.S. AND ISRAEL
- PROTESTERS CHANTING ANTI-U.S SLOGANS
STORY: As protests continued in Pakistan to condemn the killing of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, in a US airstrike near Baghdad, more than one thousand Shi’ite Muslims rallied in Pakistani capital Islamabad on Sunday (January 19).
Suleimani, an Iranian Major General in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and, from 1998 until his death in 2020, commander of its Quds Force, a division primarily responsible for extraterritorial military and clandestine operations, was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Iraq last week.
A multi-city funeral was held in Iraq and Iran for the killed general and other casualties. Hours after Soleimani's burial on 7 January 2020, the Iranian military launched missiles against U.S. bases in Iraq; no American or Iraqi lives were lost in the attack.
In Sunday’s demonstration, the protesters dragged on street and then burned representation of coffins draped in flags of the U.S. and Israel.
The rally was organized by different Shi’ite organisations jointly. The protester marched to the US embassy but they were stopped by the police.
The protest leaders said the killing of top military commanders in Iraq was not the matter only concerning with Iran but of the entire Muslim Umma.
“Now, this movement of awakening will go on across the world. This movement has started against America. This is not a rally just for today, it has continuity. These protests will go on until the Americans and Israelis are expelled from the Muslim countries,”said senior Shi’ite cleric Asghar Askari.
Killing of Soleimani and deputy leader of Iraq's Popular Mobilisation Forces Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, by a US drone strike near Baghdad's airport on January 3, triggered tensions in the region.
The U.S House of Representatives on Thursday passed a resolution to limit President Trump's ability to engage in hostilities against Iran under the 1973 War Powers Resolution.
In the aftermath of the confrontation, both U.S and Iran have backed off from intensifying the conflict but the region remains tense.