Local News Islamabad, ISLAMABAD
News ID : 75864 Video Version : 1 Script Version : 1
Pakistani Shi’ites light candles for Iranian general killed in U.S strike.
Shi’ite Muslim men and women hold candlelight vigil in Pakistani capital Islamabad, to honour the memory of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, who was killed in a US airstrike in Baghdad.
SHOTLIST: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN (JANUARY 8, 2020) (VNA – ACCESS ALL)
- VARIOUS OF CANDLES BURNING WITH PICTURE OF IRANIAN GENERAL QASSEM SULEIMANI, WHO WAS KILLED IN A U.S AIRSTRIKE IN IRAQ/MOURNERS STANDING
- MOURNERS LIGHTING CANDLES
- WOMEN LIGHTING CANDLES
- HANDS OF MOURNERS LIGHTING CANDLES
- VARIOUS OF WOMEN LIGHTING CANDLES
- MOURNERS STANDING NEXT TO TABLE WITH ROSES AND CANDLES
- MEN AND WOMEN LIGHTING CANDLES
- HAND LIGHTING CANDLE
- VARIOUS OF WOMEN CHANTING SHI’ITE SLOGANS
- WOMEN HOLDING SULEIMANI’S PICTURE
- (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) MOURNER, QURATUL-AIN ALI, SAYING: “We are here to express solidarity with General Qassem Suleimani and his associates, who were martyred in a cowardly American airstrike in Baghdad. We are providing support to Iran and its government by expressing our solidarity with them. Also, we are here to expresses that the whole Mulsim ummah stands united.”
- CANDLES BURNING
- WOMEN CHANTING “LABBAIK YA HUSSAIN”
STORY: Dozens of Shi’ite Muslim men and women held a candlelight vigil in Pakistani capital Islamabad on Wednesday (January 9), to honour the memory of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, who was killed in a US airstrike in Baghdad.
Suleimani, an Iranian Major General in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and, from 1998 until his death in 2020, commander of its Quds Force, a division primarily responsible for extraterritorial military and clandestine operations, was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Iraq last week.
A multi-city funeral was held in Iraq and Iran for the killed general and other casualties. Hours after Soleimani's burial on 7 January 2020, the Iranian military launched missiles against U.S. bases in Iraq; no American or Iraqi lives were lost in the attack.
In Wednesday’s vigil, the mourners held pictures of Soleimani and lit candles to pay tribute to the late General.
“We are here to express solidarity with General Qassem Suleimani and his associates, who were martyred in a cowardly American airstrike in Baghdad. We are providing support to Iran and its government by expressing our solidarity with them. Also, we are here to expresses that the whole Mulsim ummah stands united,”said mourner Quratul-Ain.
Killing of Soleimani and deputy leader of Iraq's Popular Mobilisation Forces Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, by a US drone strike near Baghdad's airport on January 3, triggered an tensions in the region.